Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Week 3 - Omega Xi Nu

Omega Xi Nu

Fraternities in Second Life are a relatively unique experience.  I could be wrong, but I don't know of any sorority-based issues with men behind female avatars, or at least any issues that severely divide the community like what happens with Fraternities.  A lot of Fraternities in SL seems to place a huge emphasis on who you are behind the avatar, and for some that even dictates whether or not you can join/pledge.  Because of this divisive nature, reaching out to a Fraternity for this project was a bit terrifying to me (Tivi).

I'm not the most well-versed in who has issues with what when it comes to Fraternities in SL, and so when I saw the list of participating Fraternities, I didn't really know what to expect.  Let me tell you, though, the Brothers of Omega Xi Nu almost immediately put any of my worries at ease.  These brothers are some of the most laid-back, open, hilarious people I've ever met in Second Life.  And I've been here for coming up on 11 years.

At the landing point, figuring out who all is coming through.
As y'all saw from the last two Greek Adventures tasks, we hung out with Sororities.  Bonding with other women is a little bit easier, at least for me, and planning for that was pretty easy too.  However, when we knew we wanted to reach out to a Fraternity for this week's Adventure, my first question was, "Uh... what do we do with them?"

I am a platform hermit by nature, and so I'm not exactly well-versed in everything SL has to offer.  For example, I went looking for paintball and couldn't find a decent one, but some of my other line sisters took another Frat paintballing and had a great time.  So for me, this task was intimidating from the get-go.  But we found something.... Zombie Hunting.

Gearing Up!
Now this particular sim was all intricate.  They have quests you can complete, etc.  But there's nothing that stops you from just running around and shooting zombies.  So that's exactly what we did.  Though for me, I did complete the quest to kill 100 zombies while we were there.  Half of them were probably trying to save one of the brothers, but you know... we won't mention that.  *Grins*

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard since we started pledging than I did when we were with the brothers of Omega Xi Nu.  Between them yelling at each other, reminiscing about the last time they were at this particular sim, and listening to Marie yell at all of them trying to get everyone in a picture... whew, lord.

Hiding in the safe zone and winding down.
Overall, this definitely gave me a more positive outlook on Fraternities in SL.  Not that I hated them or anything, because I don't.  But it increased my faith in the grid's ability to get through this divisive nature that drama-filled people like to perpetuate and just come together as a Community again.  They showed up for us, and they made sure we had a good time, even if it was a 'task'.  They shared with us why their brotherhood was important to them, and I can't thank them enough for the time they set aside in their evening to make sure we could hang with them.

Even if Cre was high as fuck.  xD

Hey look, we actually managed a picture!  xD



  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment